A recurrent question from my fellow teachers: What to do during the first lesson with new students?
My answer is very simple: talking cards!
What do you need?
A deck of cards and a handout with questions which you can download from our website
How does it work?
- Student no.1 chooses a card from the deck and answers the question hidden under the card. The answer has to be at least three sentences long.
- Student no. 2 listens to the answer and gives points according to the following rules:
- If the answer is grammatically correctly and at least three sentences long, student no. 1 gets 2 points.
- If the answer is grammatically correct but too short, student no. 1 gets 1 point.
- If the answer is wrong (grammatically incorrect and too short), student no. 1 gets 0 points.
I love this exercises because every question is a great conversation opener and I learn a lot about my groups!
Our ready-to-print handouts with questions:
EN: Talking Cards